Tuesday, January 6, 2015

From my Scribd Library - I'm Perfect, You're Doomed: Tales from a Jehova's Witness Upbringing by Kyria Abrahams

I'm Perfect, You're Doomed: Tales from a Jehova's Witness Upbringing by Kyria Abrahams

https://www.scribd.com/book/224248349/I-m-Perfect-You-re-Doomed-Tales-from-a-Jehovah-s-Witness-Upbringing


To begin with, let me issue a disclaimer of sorts. I'm a sucker for books on cults & sects, be they scholarly investigations, true-believer screeds, polemic exposés or "I Used To Be In a Cult/Sect" memoirs. So when I cracked open I'm Perfect, my interest was already piqued. Over the first 50-60 pages, I discovered a well-written and laugh-out-loud narrative of growing up in a JW household. The author's career as a stand-up comedian is clearly apparent in a never-ending string of irreverent descriptions and absurd observations. By the book's halfway point, I was hooked and breezed through the rest of the book in a few hours. Unfortunately, I think Abrahams' prose and voice lose a lot of punch in the book's second half where her experiences as a JW devolve into an engaging but somewhat clichéd memoir of OCD and related issues. For anyone seeking a compelling memoir told from a unique perspective, I certainly recommended I'm Perfect, especially the first half of the book. For anyone looking for similar titles involving cults, sects, please consult my collection, Religion & Cults, on Scribd:

https://www.scribd.com/collections/11070316/Religion-Cults





MK

No comments:

Post a Comment