Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Some Musings at 5:00AM

I actually started this at 3:00AM shortly after Ellie and Leo woke us up in a fit of barking. Thankfully, they're here to warn us about the homicidal deer they spied out the front window. I wanted to get up early anyway and get some writing in before work, so I guess I should thank them. Below are some random thoughts I entertained while waiting for the coffee to finish brewing.

1)  The worst part about taking a shower in the morning is having to get out and face the rest of the day.

2)   Eating well is expensive, time-consuming and labor intensive. I've been cooking every weeknight after I roll in after a 1.5-2 hour commute. It sucks. Take out was way easier and actually less expensive.

3)   So-called experts who advise everyone to "do what they love and the money will come later" are either deluded or sociopaths. 99.99% of us hate our jobs, and we're the ones who keep the world running so that the other .01% can be actors, professional athletes, artists, college professors and full-time students. I don't resent people who love their "careers." On the contrary. I want to be one of the .01% some day. I just want them to realize that the other 99,99% did not grow up with dreams of toiling in the retail, service, clerical & manufacturing industries. If you still have no idea what I'm talking about, read this article: http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/03/my-life-as-a-retail-worker-nasty-brutish-and-poor/284332/ . After being in the dark for most of his professional life, Mr. Williams finally starts to get it.

4)   I'm an agnostic, not an atheist. There's a huge huge difference. I may believe certain things based upon careful study and consideration, but I don't KNOW any Universal Truths. That's why I keep reading. The Answer isn't important to me; the pursuit of the Answer is, As an agnostic, I simply don't care about crosses in public parks, elementary school Halloween costume contests, coaches praying in locker rooms or satirical comedy lambasting religion. I don't get rabid theists or atheists, the same way I don't get people who KNOW the moon landing was faked or Princess Diana was killed by MI5. We'll all find what's out there when we die. I, for one, can wait.

MK




1 comment:

  1. We'll all find what's out there... or we won't. As to the question of life after death, there's really only two options: the answer of yes -- or -- no answer. The answer will never be 'no.' If there isn't life after death, you'll never know it. You'll just be dead, and the question will be unanswered.

    ReplyDelete